A great breakfast OR afternoon snack. They sell this at every single 7-eleven in Taiwan! You know what they say... 2 eggs a day, 100 on tests all the way!!
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr +
a dozen eggs
1/4 cup of dark soy sauce
1 large tea bag (black or green)
2~3 star anise
- Put the eggs in a pot and fill it up with water.
- Pour the soy sauce, tea bag, and star anise into the pot and bring to a boil (put cover on the pot so that eggs will peel easier).
- Boil for 15 mins or until eggs are mostly cooked.
- Take each egg and crack the shells with a metal spoon. This will create the pretty lines on the eggs and help flavor them.
- After all the eggs are cracked, put them back into the pot and continue to simmer for 1 hour.
You can keep the pot of tea eggs for weeks! Just reheat it daily or twice a day. You can even add new eggs in anytime. The more you cook them, the better they taste!!
Star anise is a type of Asian spice. It also comes in powder form. You can pick them up in any oriental supermarket.