My childhood favorite breakfast drink next to fruity milk... it contains peanuts, which is what gives the drink a pleasant aroma.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
1 cup of white rice (uncooked)
1~1.5 cup peanuts (shelled, deskinned)
- Soak the rice in water 4~6 hours (or overnight).
- Brown the peanuts on a skillet or in an oven. Careful not to burn the peanuts!
- Put the peanuts and rice in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Boil about 8~10 cups of water.
- Pour the rice mixture into the boiling water and stir constantly so that the mixture doesn't stick to the pot.
- Add sugar to taste.
For a healthier version of the drink, replace white rice with a mixture of multigrain rice and add about 1/4 cup of black sesame seeds.
If you don't like any texture in your drink and your blender doesn't smooth it enough, you can pour the mixture through a mesh (cheese cloth) before adding to the boiling water.
Multigrain Rice 五穀米
You can find this at many oriental markets. There are different types of multigrain rice (different mixtures). Or you can find them in places like Central Market or Wholefoods in the grain section. Just buy different grains and mix them yourself.