I've received many compliments on my fried rice. I'll post my secrets on here :)
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
1 cup rice (raw)
1~2 eggs beaten
1 cup of any type of chopped meat (shrimp, chicken, beef, Chinese sausage)
1/2 cup of frozen mix veggies
2 cloves of garlic minced
2 stalks green onion chopped
1/4 stick of unsalted butter chopped
2 Tablespoons of soy sauce
1 teaspoon of white pepper
1+ teaspoon of salt
*1 Tablespoons of bonito flavoring powder or 2 Tablespoons of fish sauce*
Instructions on cooking rice:
The secret to good fried rice is that the rice is not sticky. Therefore, it's best to use long grain (Jasmine) rice. If you use short grain (Calrose) rice, cook with less water. You have to stir fry with cold rice, therefore you can cook the rice the night before, mix soy sauce, white pepper, bonito powder (or fish sauce) with rice. Then chill it in the refrigerator overnight.
- In frying pan, heat some oil in high heat and scramble the eggs.
- When the eggs begin to brown, add the frozen veggies and stir fry. Remove the eggs and veggies from the pot and set them aside in a large bowl.
- Add some more oil, add the garlic, and then the meat and stir fry until meat is cooked. If using Chinese sausage, you won't need to add the oil because the sausage will produce a lot of oil.
- After the meat is cooked, add rice and stir fry. You have to be fast because the high heat might burn the bottom, but do not use low heat since it will make the rice too sticky. Using a wooden spatula makes the stir frying easier.
- Once the rice and meat is evenly stir fried, add the eggs and veggies, butter, and green onions.
- Season with salt according to your taste.
- Continue to stir fry another few mins. Once the rice is brown and is not sticky, it should be ready.
This is Chinese sausage. It's somewhat sweet and has a very good aroma after frying. It can be obtained in most oriental markets in packages.